Vice President, Early Clinical Development, Oncology
The Vice President, Early Clinical Development, Oncology
will be part of the leadership team responsible for creating and implementing the strategic vision for company’s preregistration compounds in oncology
. The role requires close cross functional collaboration with peers in related functions, including Discovery Research, Commercial, Regulatory and Medical Affairs. This role reports to the Vice President, and Global Head of Discovery Research.
Major tasks and responsibilities include:
We seek candidates with the following qualifications:
- With the early oncology leadership team, sets oncology specific portfolio strategy and leads multidisciplinary medical/scientific groups who are epicenters of evolving oncology knowledge at company and drives compound specific clinical development programs. This involves evaluation of both internal pipeline and external licensing opportunities.
- Works in close collaboration with colleagues in Discovery, Medical Affairs, Commercial and Regulatory functions to set and drive an innovative strategy that is consistent with corporate objectives.
- Responsible for ensuring effective project leadership and strong clinical science within oncology by hiring and mentoring top talent for Project Director and Senior MD positions in the Clinical Sciences group.
- In collaboration with the leadership team, prioritizes program goals and milestones within the context of company’s oncology strategy, resource availability, available and needed technologies, competitive dynamics, and corporate goals.
- Responsible for external collaborations and partnerships where applicable.
- Focused on increasing productivity of R&D (improved cycle times; use of appropriate technology and automation; applying rigorous scientific standards) by use of state-of-the-art IT capabilities and by outsourcing essential but lower risk activities.
- Exemplifies flexibility and adaptability to deal with a varying portfolio mix and funding fluctuations, including a strategic use of all sites, CROs, external collaborators and increased employee cross-training.
- Grows leading edge capabilities in focused areas and maintains a high involvement with global external medical and scientific networks to ensure continuous technological and process improvements in the function.
- Responsible for recruiting, retaining, and mentoring high potential employees, and ensuring that a talent pool exists for a dynamic and changing organization. Effective connections with internal and external opinion leaders. Acts as an ambassador for company science to the external scientific, medical, investor and media communities.
- Responsible for compliance with applicable corporate policies and procedures. Understands the scientific, clinical, regulatory, and commercial environment of therapeutic areas and uses this knowledge to develop a competitive and innovative TA development vision and strategy leading to successful commercialization.
- Oversees strategic resource planning/allocation for programs together with Project Directors, Project Management, Finance, and relevant functions.
- Responsible for the program budget (internal costs and external costs related to development projects).
- A minimum of 15 years of experience in drug development required.
- Must have a medical degree. MD PhD preferred. Will need to have the necessary theoretical and practical knowledge to lead the science while supporting R&D’s pipeline of programs.
- Recognized leader in the oncology space.
- Sound understanding of the overall drug development process with particular focus on interaction between various disciplines (scientific and commercial), international regulatory environment and global development processes.
- Strong cultural leadership, communication, networking, negotiation, and presentation skills.
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills and executive.
If interested, please apply directly to this job posting. No calls please. Include your daytime phone number and we will contact you confidentially or reply to your email.
Fairway Consulting Group is included in Hunt Scanlon’s list of Top 50 Healthcare & Life Sciences Search Firms
and Forbes' list of Top 150 Best Executive Recruiting Firms