Vice President, Business Development
Our client is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company focused on innovative therapeutics for age-related debilitating diseases. They have asked us to assist them in their search for a Vice President, Business Development.
Major tasks and responsibilities include:
We seek candidates with the following qualifications:
- Communicates a clear vision for the company to potential business development partners. Establishes and nurtures partnerships with key stakeholders and related governance groups to enhance inter-company and cross-regional review and consideration of potential opportunities.
- Leads, manages, and directs all business development activities of the company including setting the overall business development agenda, monitoring, and targeting of potential target compounds and partners, negotiating deals aligned with the corporate strategy and presenting them for review by senior management and the Board of Directors.
- Leads strategic analysis of portfolio to develop corporate-level view and program recommendations.
- Understands market potential of opportunities, including consideration of competitive landscape.
- Defines and drives forward new partnerships and optimizes existing opportunities in support of overall corporate strategy, financial needs, and organizational capabilities.
- Organizes and leads cross-functional due diligence processes and teams. Effectively manages diligence findings, possess conviction, and build case to recommend deal or not.
- Leads negotiation and closing of transactions consistent with business cases and corporate goals.
- Leads negotiation of existing agreements with current partners to align with evolving business needs.
- Audits and augments as needed internal governance and process for business development.
- Provides business development input and support to internal programs as appropriate, including identifying internal gaps and seeking business development solutions.
- Attends events and draws upon industry network to prospect for new opportunities and build relationships with potential partners.
- Seeks, establishes, and leverages domestic and global industry contacts to gain early access to all opportunities.
- Leads with authority and credibility due diligence on new opportunities and distils present information to multiple audiences with appropriate business, scientific, and commercial analytics to optimize decision making.
- Provides detailed and executive level updates to multiple audiences on Business Development activities to ensure awareness and alignment across the company.
- Seeks and executes opportunities for asset divestiture and product out-licensing.
- A Medical degree, PhD, PharmD, or other advanced degree in a biomedical field is required.
- A minimum of ten years of experience within the biopharmaceutical industry or related biotech/healthcare practice is preferred.
- A proven record of leading discovery, development, or business development projects is highly desirable.
- Requires the ability to gain trust and work effectively across multiple stakeholders within the organization.
- Must be able to assimilate complex scientific and business concepts and synthesize them into business recommendations or actions.
- Requires thorough understanding of the biotech/pharma industry and the ability to coordinate cross-functionally.
- Must have a thorough knowledge of external healthcare business environment along with an understanding of competitive history and ability to forecast future developments.
- The ability to apply clinical and scientific knowledge to present and facilitate review and consideration of new opportunities is required.
- Requires the ability to explain complex strategic initiatives and advanced scientific/medical challenges across a broad range of audiences.
- Must have strong organizational skills, attention to detail, the ability to prioritize, develop and create timelines, plans, and meet deadlines across multiple transactions.
- Strong analytical, communication, and leadership skills are a plus.
- Must apply rigor in assessing new opportunities and effectively leads discussions with key executives to facilitate efficient review and decision making.
- Experience working with both internal and external multidisciplinary teams/customers is required.
- Must be proficient in communicating ideas and leading others to accomplish business goals and objectives.
If interested, please apply directly to this job posting. No calls please. Include your daytime phone number and we will contact you confidentially or reply to your email.
Fairway Consulting Group is included in Hunt Scanlon’s list of Top 50 Healthcare & Life Sciences Search Firms
and Forbes' list of Top 200 Best Executive Recruiting Firms