Global Products Lead
The Global Products Lead (GPL) is a senior, cross-functional strategic business leader in the CSL organization, reporting to the R&D Therapeutic Area (TA) Co-Lead. The GPL is accountable for all product strategy and delivery in his/her portfolio and, in that capacity, to the respective Therapeutic Area Leadership Team (TALT) and TA Co-Leads. The GPL is a member of the GPL Leadership Team (grass roots/informal team) and a core member of TALTs.
Depending on specific product(s) and its stage of life cycle, the GPL has high-level accountabilities that are critical to the delivery of CSL business objectives and portfolio value targets. These may include:
- Create and lead a high-performing cross-functional team of global functional senior leaders responsible for the delivery of the product portfolio.
- Create ambitious development plans and options for each of their assets, with the goal of managing the trade-off between time, risk, cost and value.
- Is accountable for the development and commercialization of development product(s) following progression through SG2.
- Drive maximum patient value for growth brands contributing to R&D value targets through life cycle management including, label expansions, novel technologies and development of combination products, and new indications.
- Asset Lead (or Member of Asset Management Forum - if relevant); responsible for global cross-TA strategy, oversight and management of product label, identification of resource synergies and allocation of license maintenance support in support of continued and maximized value generation.
- Responsible for creation and execution of 3-year global cross-functional business plan including: Life cycle maximization, regional and emerging market value generation to optimize patient access, maintenance of license to operate, patent defense, and real-world evidence generation.
- Responsible for communicating to Product Strategy Team (PST) members (full-time and flexible), TALT and Functional leaders in R&D and other stakeholder functions about product strategy plans, challenges, and requirements for the products’ success.
Major tasks and responsibilities include:
- Acts as the Product(s) Champion, ensuring program and project priorities are established and appropriately communicated; ensuring portfolio prioritization conflicts are addressed and/or escalated as required.
- Creative and visible leadership of a high performing cross-functional team of global functional senior leaders responsible for the delivery of one or more products.
- Collaborates with appropriate functional area leads to support strategic project direction.
- Significant contribution to the development and performance of core PST members deployed from all functions.
- Plays an active role in development of regional talent capable of taking on GPL roles.
- Is accountable for creating and leading high-performing teams.
Member of Therapeutic Area Leadership Team (TALT)
- Is accountable for delivering the Therapy Portfolio Investment Board (TPIB) agreed strategy and Product Strategy Plan (PSP).
- Contributes to and recommends updates to the strategy that would maximize the value of the product.
Research Interaction and Product Transition
- Partners with Research Project Scientific Coordinators and Research Project Managers from Research Project teams for approximately 6 months pre-SG2 to develop product strategy and risk- mitigated POC development plan for presentation to Therapy Product Review Committee (TPRC).
- Ensures smooth and efficient transition of products from research into development.
- Actively resources PST by working with and influencing functional leaders for appropriately skilled resources for their product at each stage in development.
- Leads CSL due diligence teams in (i) evaluation of potential in-licensing opportunities for new products within the PST, (ii) presentation of opportunities and business cases to CSL governance boards and (iii) efficient transition to post-deal delivery.
- Senior cross-functional business leadership of alliances with external partners to deliver on existing commitments and to explore additional partnering opportunities for assigned products/brands.
- Mentors, partners, and collaborates with TA-specific Research Project Teams and PSTs to share best practices and development expertise to be applied to other projects within and across.
- Fosters individual and team development.
Asset Management Forums
- As a designated Asset Lead, or as a member of the Asset Management Forum if not the designated Asset Lead, is accountable for the strategic management of the asset, including defining the range of LCM investment options/business cases and making recommendations for decision on investment, in order to maximize the value of the brand to the business.
- Partners with other GPLs from other TAs in assessment of additional opportunities such as second brand opportunities in other TAs; coordinates efforts across TAs to optimize the brand.
Product Strategy Design
- Definition and communication of the overall vision for global development and commercialization and/or LCM strategy for TA-aligned products.
- Is accountable for development, maintenance, and updating of the PSP to maximize the value of their product(s).
- Is accountable for the Target Product Profile (TPP) and Target Product Claims (TPC) that form the future foundation of product labelling and other forms of communicating value propositions for patients, physicians, and payers.
- Definition content of product business cases that deliver both regulatory approval (meeting worldwide health authority needs) and reimbursement approval (meeting key country payer requirements).
- Continues new value generation including strategic focus upon Asia, Emerging Markets, and must-win commercially prioritized markets.
- Works in collaboration with Research Project Teams and PSTs on LCM activities such as novel technologies and development of combination products in new indications.
- As required, leads the development and presentation of PSP and product business cases to TALT and TPRC.
- Presents as needed to functional leadership teams, such as the TPIB for product strategy decisions, etc.
- Represents the PSP and/or business cases to joint CSL/Alliance Partners governance bodies for investment decision, where appropriate.
- Provides regular progress updates to internal governance bodies on progress, risks, opportunities and challenges, and pertinent changes in the external environment.
Product Strategy Execution
- Delivers on governance-approved business cases within defined tolerances on time, cost, and quality, working with functional management as required to resolve issues.
- Represents budgetary and time/schedule accountabilities within ranges as per Decision-Making Framework guidance.
- Delivers product information to support internal and external business portfolio reporting (e.g., internal product/project briefings, R&D Analyst Day, annual results communications etc.)
- Effective and transparent risk, opportunity, and issue management at strategic, tactical, and operational levels.
CSL Rights, Data, and Intellectual Property
- In partnership with TA Medical Affairs, ensures the development and execution of the strategic communication plan for the product including publication plans and public relations strategy.
- Oversees the alignment of the publication strategy to ensure all documents reflect product strategy and team decisions.
- Manages CSL rights and obligations in relation to any corporate agreements that relate to the product.
- Understand all Intellectual Property (IP) assets of the product in consultation with IP and legal experts.
- Leadership of cross-functional issues management teams.
- Partners with the TA Co-leads and Investor Relations functions to develop and actively manage the external messages for the analyst community for end of year results and all other material business interactions.
Compliance and Code of Conduct
We seek candidates with the following qualifications:
- Ensures that all PST activities are conducted in line with relevant regulations, CSL Code of Conduct and all CSL policies, including compliance with ethical business practices.
- Ensures all governance/compliance issues are identified, reported, and managed appropriately.
Skills and Professional Capabilities:
- A Graduate level degree is required. An advanced degree is preferred.
- Must be an engaging and inclusive team leader - a proven ‘people manager’ able to motivate, inspire and develop a wide range of individuals.
- Requires experience building organizational programs that unify rather than divide even when it may be faster or easier to work within silos.
- The ability to remove obstacles and help teams access opportunities to advance the business is required.
- Outstanding organizational influencing skills with the ability to navigate internal and external stakeholders and decision-makers at all levels is required.
- Must emphasizes the importance of taking initiative and acting quickly to capitalize on opportunities.
- Requires the ability to assess and trade off competing risks to optimize the overall product/program value.
- Must have an entrepreneurial business mindset - rising above functional leadership to act as owner/entrepreneur, in control of every aspect of the business.
- Must operate with authority and confidence – a credible, confident business leader with CSL governance bodies and key external agencies and groups.
- The ability to adapt organizational structures, processes, systems, and culture as needed without getting stuck in old ways of working is required.
- Must have a mature character – conducive way to interactions regardless of business pressures.
- Requires a minimum of 12+ years of industry or equivalent product development experience.
- Demonstrated leadership of cross-functional, multi-cultural teams in a drug development context (product or function) is required.
- Extensive knowledge and experience of the drug development process is required.
- Requires a proven track record in managing internal and external relationships.
- Requires a demonstrated ability to learn new information rapidly and effectively.
- Senior line management experience in a drug development function at the functional leadership team level is required.
- Effective collaboration with Key Stakeholders such as:
- Therapeutic Area Leadership Team
- R&D Leadership Team
- Therapy Product Review Committee
- Therapy Product Investment Board
- Functional Leadership
- Intellectual Property Function
- Investor Relations