Chief Medical Officer
Our client is a biotech company. They have asked us to assist them in their search for a Chief Medical Officer
Major tasks and responsibilities will include:
We seek candidates with the following qualifications:
- Leads the Product Development organization in setting project/product strategies, goals, budgets, priorities and long-term plans including evaluating progress and tracking resource requirements. He/she will set priorities and re-evaluate as needed, identifying resource gaps and management options (i.e., trade-offs, delays, additional resources).
- Oversees the development and implementation of cross-functional strategies to deliver on product development activities in support of the company portfolio. He/She will serve as the single point of accountability for all product development activities across a wide range of modalities and global health diseases.
- Provides strategic oversite of leadership, planning, decision-making and execution for product development teams and functions including translational development, clinical development, clinical operations, portfolio strategy and program management, alliance management and business development.
- Provides the scientific/technical/medical leadership to move products from discovery through to licensure/approval.
- Builds and retains talent and capabilities across the functions and teams to ensure current and future health of the organization.
- Effectively partners with the Head of Translational Discovery to enable the smooth transition of product candidates from research through all phases of product development.
- Effectively partners with key stakeholders across the company to ensure alignment on product development strategies and fluid exchange of information and cross learnings across the two organizations.
- Effectively partners with other members of the leadership team on organizational matters including culture, organizational capacity and assumptions underpinning the 4-year plan and to ensure the organization delivers on goals.
- Oversees business development and alliance management and will ensure the organization is excellent in its collaborations with a diverse set of partners including academia, biotech, pharma, governments, and global health product development partners. Partners are located globally including low income countries.
- Requires a medical degree or MD/PhD.
- Therapeutic expertise is flexible.
- Requires 15+ years of relevant industry experience in leading high performance, cross-functional product development organizations including extensive experience with the creation and execution of strategies for product development and demonstrated ability to translate knowledge and expertise to development teams and functional areas.
- Must have a minimum of 5 years of executive level leadership in a matrix organization.
- A mix of medium size biotech and large pharma experience is preferred.
- Requires leadership experience through all phases of product development from translational medicine including early product development through late stage/pivotal trials.
- Must be recognized as a product development leader/expert within the global health community.
- Significant skill in ensuring productive relationships with preferred partners, external vendors, and other key stakeholders fostering a sense of “ownership” of the company mission with these partners (e.g., through sharing responsibility for milestones, joint product development strategic sessions, joint celebrations) is required. Experience working with multinational partners is required.
- Must excel in strategy development both short and long term. Must anticipate and coach teams to anticipate implementation challenges and have mitigation strategies in place.
- Requires the ability to influence outcomes, utilizing effective communication skills across functions, product development teams, and within the leadership team.
- Requires ability to become a strategic partner with leaders; contributes not only by identifying strategic opportunities, but also demonstrates an ability to think beyond the status quo and conceptualize innovative and visionary approaches to broad business challenges.
- Must be an experienced advisor to senior leadership; with track record of significant contribution to developing strategic planning alternatives.
- Strong communication, both written and verbal is required.
- Must be effective at energizing others, establishing clear goals, and delegating responsibility. Requires mentoring, coaching and managing complex and highly dynamic, technical organizations to work collaboratively toward a common vision.
- Must have experience building capability, both internally within own organization and externally with a range of partners. Must have experience in the identification of knowledge gaps and developing solutions to acquire needed data and address gaps.
- Requires the ability to command authority naturally within a highly technical environment.
- Must be an expert in conflict resolution within and across teams and functional areas.
- Ability to attract and retain highly capable team members across the product development organization is required.
- Capacity to make budget tradeoffs and decisions that drive resource allocation decisions, including both financial and human resources is required.
- Demonstrated passion for the company’s values with a commitment to deliver results against our mission.
If interested, please apply directly to this job posting. No calls please. Include your daytime phone number and we will contact you confidentially or reply to your email.
Fairway Consulting Group is included in Hunt Scanlon’s list of Top 50 Healthcare & Life Sciences Search Firms.